Croissant, Sausage and Mushroom Egg Bake
Prep time: 25 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 55 Minutes
Serves: 8 Servings
- 8 large croissants, sliced in half
- 2 Tbsp Durant Olive Mill Koroneiki EVOO, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ pound of ground/seasoned breakfast sausage*
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded or cubed cheese, I used sharp cheddar and gouda*
- Chopped scallions
- Everything but the bagel seasoning (optional)
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp of Durant Olive Mill Koroneiki EVOO on medium-high heat.
- Add in your sliced onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until they become slightly translucent. Continue cooking and add sliced mushrooms.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes and add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Add your ground sausage and allow the mixture to fully cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 500 degrees and prep croissants to toast.
- Slice each croissant in half and place on a sheet pan (about 16 pieces), drizzle lightly with the remaining olive oil, cut side up. (you will probably need 2 sheet pans).
- Toast slightly in the hot oven for only 2-3 minutes, until croissants begin to brown. Remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, heavy cream, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with EVOO and place one layer of croissant (cut side up) in baking dish, it’s okay to layer them. The bottom layer should have about 6 halves.
- Sprinkle with some of the onion/mushroom/sausage mixture and half of the cheese.
- Layer another layer of croissant, again ok to layer and be sure to fill in the center, tear croissants if needed (it will get covered so doesn’t have to be pretty).
- Add the rest of the onion/mushroom/sausage mixture and cheese.
- Carefully pour egg/milk mixture on top of the bake. Press croissants slightly into the dish to coat.
- Cover with foil and allow to sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours, great to make the night before.*
- The next day, pop into a 350-degree oven covered with foil for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with scallions and a sprinkle of Everything but the Bagel spice (if you have).
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
*Recipe and imagery courtesy of Cosette Posko – Cosette’s Kitchen
- You can choose any type of breakfast sausage you’d like, I like a mild variety but a spicy would be delicious as well.
- You any combination of cheese you’d like, a sharp works very well in this dish.
- This dish is best prepared the night before and baked in the morning, perfect for a holiday gathering.