Classic Minestrone Soup
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 6 Servings
- 2 Tbsp Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, trimmed & roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt & black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil (or 2 tsp dried basil)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh chopped oregano (or sub 2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flake (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can white beans or chickpeas (rinsed + drained)
- 1 cup kale or spinach (or other green // roughly chopped)
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add evoo, onion, and garlic and stir. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion becomes translucent.
- Add carrots and green beans and season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened slightly and have some color.
- Add zucchini, fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken/vegetable broth, basil, oregano, red pepper flake (optional), and beans. Stir to coat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a strong simmer. Then reduce heat slightly to medium-low until the soup is simmering but not boiling. Add pasta if desired and stir. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, reducing heat if needed to keep the soup at a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste soup and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Add kale or spinach (or other green) and stir. Cook for another 3-4 minutes to wilt the kale and allow the flavors to meld together. Turn off heat and let rest for a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, divide soup between serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, and Durant Frantoio evoo or Basil Fused olive oil.