Casablanca Couscous Salad
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 8-10 people
- 1 Cup Uncooked Israeli Couscous
- 1 1/4 Cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups homemade chickpeas
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lightly packed fresh mint, chopped
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup large green olives or Kalamata olives pitted, roughly chopped. ( I used 1/4 Restaurant LuLu green olive tapenade, drained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 pound zucchini (1 smallish young zucchini), diced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped roasted pistachios ( I used Freddy Guys Hazelnuts) chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced preserved lemon ( Restaurant LuLu preserved Meyer lemon)
- In a large saucepan, dry toast the couscous over medium heat, stirring constantly, until just slightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water and salt, bring to a boil, and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, uncover and cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Place the chickpeas, cilantro, mint, scallions, olive tapenade, apricots, zucchini, hazelnuts, and preserved Meyer lemon in a large mixing bowl.
- Once your couscous has cooled, combine with chickpea mixture.
- Pour Lemon Tagine Dressing over it.
- Stir well to coat everything with dressing.
- Cover and chill the salad for 5 minutes before serving.
A delicious and exotic grain salad perfect for spicing up routine lunches or as an accessory to a Mediterranean meal with lamb.