Butternut Squash & Rice Stuffing (Dressing)
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 40-50 Minutes
Total time: 60-70 Minutes
Serves: 12 Servings
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 cups water or vegetable/chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 10 grinds of black pepper (½ tsp)
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in 1” cubes, about 2 pounds
- 10 oz shiitake or other wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 5 Tbsp Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo, divided
- ½ cup Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo
- ½ cup Aperö Blackberry Roasted Pepper Vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable/chicken broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Black pepper
- ⅔ cups walnut
- 6-8 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
- Prepare wild rice by heating your 2 tablespoons of Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo and adding rice to non-stick pot. Let rice granules get covered and slightly sauteed in oil on medium-high for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Add water/broth, let rice come to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 50 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare butternut squash by peeling squash, then cut into 1” cubes. Place on a large sheet pan and coat with 3 tablespoons of Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until fork tender.
- In a saute pan, add 2 tablespoons of Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo oil on medium-high heat and add your diced onion. Saute until slightly translucent, add your sliced mushrooms and cook until soft. Add in ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- In a small bowl add your ½ cup Durant Olive Mill Frantoio evoo, ½ cup Aperö Blackberry Roasted Pepper Vinegar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Whisk until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, add your rice, squash, onions and mushrooms and top with dressing mixture, broth, walnuts and thyme. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place in 9×13 baking dish and bake for 45 minutes until warm and bubbly.Note:
- Wild rice takes longer to cook than traditional white rice, please double check your package instructions for cooking times.
- All components can be made ahead of time, placed in fridge and assembled day of event.
- You can also enjoy this as a cold salad. Complete all steps except for baking.
- You can assemble and place the baking dish in fridge until ready to bake for quick, easy entertaining.
- Dish is completely gluten free and vegan when using water/vegetable broth.
*Recipe and imagery courtesy of Cosette Posko – Cosette’s Kitchen