Barley Salad with Herbs and Squash
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 40 Minutes
Total time: 50 Minutes
Serves: 6 Servings
- 1 Butternut or other winter squash
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 2 tbs finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup Durant Olive Mill evoo, plus 3 tbs for squash
- Sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh herbs. Great with parsley, dill, mint and chives.
- Preheat oven to 400◦ F.
- Cut butternut squash lengthwise, remove inner flesh and seeds, peel, and cut into .5″ cubes. Toss with 3 tablespoons of Durant Olive Mill evoo, salt and pepper. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning at the halfway point.
- Bring barley and 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Drain if necessary
- Meanwhile, place shallot in a large bowl, and whisk in mustard, Durant Olive Mill evoo, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir in barley, squash and herbs. Serve warm or chilled.