Autumn Kale and Quinoa Salad with Apples
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: N/A
Total time: 15-20 Minutes
Serves: 4 Servings
- 6 cups of chopped Italian Kale (or any variety)
- ¼ cup tri-colored quinoa (or any variety)
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ sweet apple, sliced
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup Durant Koroneiki Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Apero Pomegranate Vinegar
- 1 tsp dried mint leaves
- 2 tsp whole grain or dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey, warmed (sub brown rice syrup to keep vegan)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to your package directions, you may prepare more and use in another dish. If preparing for salad, you’ll need ¼ cup quinoa (rinsed) and cooked in ½ cup of water. Prepare and let cool
- Remove kale from stems, roughly chop and clean. After cleaning and drying, drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and massage gently, set aside.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine and create an emulsified dressing.
- Combine your cooled quinoa and kale together and toss with ⅓ cup of your dressing.
- Plate mixture and top with apples, pomegranate seeds and almonds. Drizzle additional dressing if desired or serve on the side.
- Salad stores well in the fridge for 3 days. Store any remaining dressing in the fridge.
- Be sure to rinse quinoa for at least 30 seconds before cooking to remove natural coating, saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy.
- You may add goat cheese, manchego cheese and/or chicken to add additional protein and create a complete meal.
*Recipe and imagery courtesy of Cosette Posko – Cosette’s Kitchen